According to Football Insider, Bayern Munich defender David Alaba is on the target list of Liverpool, and the Merseysiders have now been handed a huge boost after contract extension talks stalled following the third round of negotiations.
— Christian Falk (@cfbayern) October 28, 2020
Spanish midfielder Thiago Alcantara joined the Reds from Bayern during the summer on a four-year deal for £20 million, and his former teammate could reunite with him at Anfield if the Bundesliga giants fail to convince him to stay and Liverpool swoop.
The Austrian international has just a few months left on his current deal which expires next summer, and he can leave for nothing at the end of it.
Alaba is also free to sign a pre-contract deal with another club in January if he isn’t sold during the winter transfer window, and Liverpool could now be tempted to make a firm move and table a bid when the transfer market reopens given their current injury woes at the back.
Dutchman Virgil van Dijk is potentially out of 2019-20 after damaging his Anterior Cruciate Ligament, and manager Jurgen Klopp was dealt another huge blow yesterday after makeshift centre-back Fabinho picked up a hamstring injury in the Champions League victory over FC Midtjylland.
Joe Gomez is the only fit senior option at the moment, with Joel Matip still yet to be fully fit.
While Alaba is primarily a left-back, he has often been deployed at centre-back and has played in the position since the 2020-21 campaign kicked off.
The 28-year-old has played seven times as a central defender thus far, and will be a great addition to any squad given his huge quality and versatility.
Alaba can also play in midfield and attack – roles he has played on a number of occasions for his country – and Liverpool could do with such an experienced star in their squad.
It remains unknown whether they will go after him, but they can’t afford to miss out on such a serial winner should he become available in January.
- Duke vs Georgia Tech Prediction, Game Preview
- Virginia vs Florida State Prediction, Game Preview
- College Football Playoff Rankings Reactions: 5 Things We Learned (The REALLY Big Whiff)
- Jordynne Grace’s Tag Team Partner Revealed, Knockouts Tag Title Tournament
- R-Truth Sets New Championship Milestone Record, JBL To Appear On The Bump
- What Would The College Football Playoff, New Year’s Six Bowls Be After First CFP Rankings?
- O’Leary: Talking DIS Racial Justice Roundtable with Donnovan Bennett
- College Football Playoff Rankings: Alabama No. 1 In First CFP Top 25
- Big Ten Predictions, Schedule, Game Previews, Lines, TV: Week 13
- Hockey world pays tribute to Indigenous NHL pioneer Fred Sasakamoose