The Professional Women’s Hockey Players Association unveiled its new Toronto-based team, Team Sonnet, on Wednesday as it prepares for its second season of the Dream Gap Tour.
Team Sonnet is the result of a new sponsor partnership between Sonnet and the PWHPA. In addition to the team’s name, the club also unveiled the uniforms that will be worn by its players during the upcoming tour that’s set to launch in 2021.
We are proud to name Sonnet as the Official Insurance Partner of the PWHPA and our newest Premier Partner.
— PWHPA (@PWHPA) November 25, 2020
The PWHPA announced last month its blueprint for the 2021 Dream Gap Tour after receiving a $1-million commitment from Secret. The organization, which was established in May 2019, will feature five teams located in five hockey markets this year: Toronto (now known as Team Sonnet), Calgary, Montreal, Minnesota, and New Hampshire.
Team Sonnet includes Canadian National team stars like Brianne Jenner, Natalie Spooner, Sarah Nurse, Renata Fast, and Jocelyne Larocque.
“We want little girls to have a goal and to aspire to play hockey professionally, like any little boy can, and with a pro team, the sky’s the limit for her to dream,” Nurse, who’s also a PWHPA board member, said in Wednesday’s press release. “I’m proud to have Sonnet’s name emblazoned on my jersey because they share in this vision.”
Along with the announcement of its five-team model last month, the PWHPA also announced the introduction of the Secret Cup — a tournament-style competition with cash prizes that will be up for grabs during the Tour. The PWHPA is comprised of many of the world’s best women’s hockey players, including 38 Olympians, with a goal of creating a sustainable professional women’s league.
- Sources: Mariners calling up touted RHP Gilbert
- Boone: Yanks have 7 COVID positives on staff
- Maria Kanellis Gives High Praise To Quinn McKay, Talks LuFisto Coming To ROH
- WWE NXT Viewership For 5/11/21
- Syracuse Orange: CFN College Football Preview 2021
- O’Leary: TSN’s Duane Forde w/ some East-West context
- Canucks taking risk with Green despite steering ship through turbulent year
- Pirelli concludes 18-inch tyre test from Barcelona
- Tre Ford, Adam Machart lead 2021 East-West Bowl roster recognitions
- Sabres GM addresses Eichel injury, says captain hasn’t requested trade