The NHL and NHLPA have been engaged in discussions recently about a Jan. 15 start date for the 2020-21 season, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports.
In this scenario, Friedman reports that training camps would open approximately two weeks before Jan. 15 and the number of games played during the season “would be in the 50s.”
Lead Off with Ziggy and Scotty Mac
Elliotte Friedman hearing Jan. 15 start for NHL season
December 04 2020
“I believe in the last few days the league and the players have engaged in conversations about a start on January 15, with training camps opening approximately two weeks earlier,” Friedman said on the FAN 590’s Lead Off. “The number of games would be in the 50s. I had some people telling me 52, I had some people telling me 56. But they have re-engaged on this.
“What I think they are talking about is the non-playoff teams would report in the last few days of December, they would get two or three extra days. The playoff teams would report around New Year’s Day. I think the end of the regular season would be around the beginning of May, they’d build in that schedule with a buffer zone in case they had to make up games, and I’m hearing the season would be over some time around the end of June, beginning of July.
“Now the financial issues, I don’t have a full picture on that although it sounds like the escrow ask about changing the caps is going away because I think everyone realizes here the players weren’t willing to agree to that, but they are potentially more willing to talk about deferrals.”
Earlier this week, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the original target date of Jan. 1 remains a “work in progress.“
As Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reported on Wednesday, there needs to be a complete realignment for the 2020-21 season to be played. Both sides will need to agree on a modified schedule, more health and safety protocols, and determine if the games will be played in regional hubs or in each team’s arenas.
- Guardians’ Ramírez injured, Francona out Friday
- Mets’ Scherzer out 6-8 weeks with oblique strain
- Oilers’ playoff hopes hinge on Mike Smith finding his game after Game 1 stinker
- As Matthew’s biggest supporter, Brady Tkachuk is stealing the show in Calgary
- Sato on top again in busy Thursday Indy 500 practice
- Edge Teases Paige Possibly Joining ‘The Judgment Day’ Faction
- Paul Wight Doesn’t Recall Actor Kieran Culkin Throwing A Beer At Him
- Racing Tips: Andrew Mount’s Friday Picks – May 20th
- Frankie Dettori Booked Rides Today | Back This 42/1 Goodwood Treble on Friday
- Adams learning on all sides of the game with Argos