Welcome to 2021, where a fish tells us who’s Kraken. (It was a rehearsal, but it also may have been one of the best promo ideas in recent memory.) We’re less than 24 hours from unveiling Seattle’s expansion picks, and here’s what’s out there:
• It’s strikingly quiet. Those who worked through the 2017 Vegas expansion say that process was “much louder” than this one. There’s been much less communication with other teams from Seattle than there was from the Golden Knights. Does that mean Seattle has fewer trades planned? We’ll see. But, they’ve definitely not been as active across the league.
• They’ve targeted some free agents. What’s going to be interesting is if that means those players are going to be Seattle’s selection from other NHL teams, or the Kraken are going to know they have a deal “in the drawer,” and take a second player from certain clubs. Two teams to watch for — Florida and St. Louis. The Kraken are locked-in on Panthers goalie Chris Driedger. Do they also add someone like Frank Vatrano, or is Driedger the pick? They’re also interested in Jaden Schwartz. If they’re convinced they’ve got something, do they add Schwartz now, or take Vince Dunn and add the winger later? No confirmation on this, but a couple teams think the Kraken like Blake Coleman, too.
• On Carey Price: boy, this is so close to call. They’ve done their deep dive and know everything there is to know. The Canadiens seem to think it’s possible they lose a defenceman (Cale Fleury, Brett Kulak) instead. What a wild story this turned into. At the very least, the Kraken wanted Montreal to sweat and if they’d pay to keep Price.
• One NHL player offered to bet Monday night that Mark Giordano would be Seattle’s first captain. I didn’t take it.
• The momentum is gaining with Boston and Taylor Hall. Word is Hall wants to stay and the Bruins want to keep him. Nothing is done until it’s done, but there’s a path.
• Mentioned the other day about the possibility of Patrik Laine playing for his $7.5 million qualifying offer in 2021-22. That process is begun. The only hurdle might be if there’s any chance the Blue Jackets move him.
• Looking forward to tomorrow. Should be fun.
- Big Ten Expansion. What Does The Conference Do Now?: Daily Cavalcade
- White Sox activate DH Jimenez off IL Monday
- Padres get Frazier from Pirates for three players
- AEW Donates $100,000 To Support Charlotte’s “Safe Alliance’
- Tony Khan & Other AEW EVPs Flew To Chicago To Film Footage This Past Sunday
- Nye: Inside the Riders’ Green and White game
- Four undervalued UFAs who could be bargains when free agency opens
- Lions release 18, including QB Will Arndt
- WEC unveils more details on Bahrain double header
- Maple Leafs 2021 Free Agency Preview: Needs, targets, issues