“We need Jack to concentrate on the Devils,” Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald told NHL.com. “The silver lining for Jack [and all of our young players] during this pandemic was a lengthy opportunity to gain strength and weight to compete in the NHL when we start.”
The first-overall pick from the 2019 NHL Draft scored 21 points in 61 games as a rookie last season. Hughes played for the U.S. at the 2019 world juniors where he had four points in four games.
The Devils were one of seven teams that did not return to play this summer and the team has not played a game since a March 10 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
USA Hockey announced its preliminary roster for the 2021 world juniors Monday, which includes top prospects Jake Sanderson, Cole Caufield and Nick Robertson, among others. The team will hold its selection camp at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Mich., from Dec. 6-13.
- Guardians’ Ramírez injured, Francona out Friday
- Mets’ Scherzer out 6-8 weeks with oblique strain
- Oilers’ playoff hopes hinge on Mike Smith finding his game after Game 1 stinker
- As Matthew’s biggest supporter, Brady Tkachuk is stealing the show in Calgary
- Sato on top again in busy Thursday Indy 500 practice
- Edge Teases Paige Possibly Joining ‘The Judgment Day’ Faction
- Paul Wight Doesn’t Recall Actor Kieran Culkin Throwing A Beer At Him
- Racing Tips: Andrew Mount’s Friday Picks – May 20th
- Frankie Dettori Booked Rides Today | Back This 42/1 Goodwood Treble on Friday
- Adams learning on all sides of the game with Argos