While contract language still has to be finalized and Brown has to pass COVID-19 protocols before he can join the team, Brown is likely to make his Bucs debut in Week 9 against the New Orleans Saints on Nov. 8.
The Bucs have been banged up at the wide receiver position. Mike Evans has been playing on an injured ankle since Week 4 and hasn’t been able to practice consistently, Chris Godwin just returned from a hamstring injury, and deep threat Scotty Miller has been limited by a groin/hip injury.
Brady had been pushing for the Bucs to sign Brown since the summer. Brady took Brown under his wing during Brown’s brief tenure in New England last season — on and off the field.
The two had immediate on-field chemistry — Brown had four catches for 54 yards and a touchdown in a 43-0 win over the Miami Dolphins — in their first game together. As it turned out, it was their only game together, as Brown was released later in the week.
Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians worked with Brown while he was the offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh and previously had been critical of Brown. Arians told Schefter on his podcast in 2019 that Brown was “too much of a diva,” and said as recently as March that Brown wasn’t a fit on the Bucs.
In July, the NFL announced it had suspended Brown for eight games without pay because of multiple violations of the NFL’s personal conduct policy. Brown is eligible to come off his suspension after Week 8.
Brown, 32, had been the subject of an NFL investigation following an accusation of sexual misconduct at his home by an artist who was working there in 2017. He also pleaded no contest in June to a felony burglary with battery charge and two lesser misdemeanor charges related to a January incident with a moving truck company outside his home in Hollywood, Florida.
The NFL said in July that Brown was directed to continue counseling and treatment. The league also said that any further violations probably would result in harsher discipline.
Information from ESPN’s Jenna Laine and Mike Reiss was used in this report.
- College Football Roundup Week 13: What It All Means, Winners, Losers, Overrated, Underrated
- Seattle Seahawks vs Philadelphia Eagles Prediction, Game Preview
- College Football Playoff Top 25 Rankings Prediction: What Will Round 2 Be On Tuesday?
- Shotzi Blackheart Comments On Leaving WWE Tough Enough Due To A Heart Condition
- Sami Zayn Says Liv Morgan Was Almost Part Of ‘The Great Liberator’, & More
- Watch Packers vs. Bears: TV channel, live stream info, start time
- Watch Eagles vs. Seahawks: TV channel, live stream info, start time
- College Football Odds: Opening Early Lines, Values Week 14
- Bowl Projections, College Football Playoff Predictions: Week 13
- ‘Just incredible’, ‘Cheat code’ – Some Rangers fans are in awe of 28-yr-old’s performance