Red Bull driver Max Verstappen says he would prefer to have some older Formula 1 venues back on the calendar permanently in the wake of their 2020 events.
Formula 1 had to heavily overhaul its schedule due to the Covid-19 pandemic, with only four events taking place on their original date, and over half of the planned rounds cancelled.
The championship’s need to have a predominantly European calendar meant the Nürburgring and Imola returned after a long absence while Mugello and Portimao joined for the first time.
Next year’s provisional calendar features 23 events but none of the rounds that were a Covid-related stand-in are present.
There remains a potentially vacant berth, with the event listed for April 25 lacking a venue amid Vietnam’s absence, prompting suggestions that a 2020 stand-in circuit could still yet return.
“We’ve had a few good races,” said Verstappen when asked for his preference on a Hanoi replacement.
“Portimao was cool but I hope we have a bit more grip if we ever go back there. Imola was nice – I think the track was very old school.
“Nurburgring I also enjoyed so there are a few which could replace some grands prix we have on the calendar.
“I will go for Imola, a bit more old school. You’re running at some corners all the way up to the gravel so if you go too wide you’re off so I would go for that one, even though Mugello was nice as well.
“It’s difficult to pick but like I said it’s better to remove a few of the ones we have now and add these back in.”
Next year’s championship is due to begin in Australia on March 21.
- Fresno State vs UNLV Prediction, Game Preview
- College Football Week 4 Picks: 10 Best Games For A Parlay
- Maryland vs Kent State Prediction, Game Preview
- Iowa vs Colorado State Prediction, Game Preview
- TCU vs SMU Prediction, Game Preview
- Northwestern vs Ohio Prediction, Game Preview
- D-backs extend Lovullo despite 104-loss season
- Cards win 12th in row, longest streak since ’82
- Facing an uncertain future, key to Gaudreau’s present may be Monahan reunion
- PHOTO: Karrion Kross & Scarlett Get Engaged