The Spa-Francorchamps circuit will reintroduce gravel traps and add new grandstands as part of an €80 million renovation project.
The circuit is hoping to join the MotoGP calendar in the future and recently announced a return to bike racing with the EWC Spa 24 Hours endurance event in 2022.
As part of that agreement, a number of safety changes must be made to obtain the necessary FIM Grade C licence, including expanding the run-off area at Raidillon – which was the scene of a fatal crash in Formula 2 last year when Anthoine Hubert lost his life.
Gravel traps will also return at La Source, Raidillon, Blanchimont, Les Combes and Stavelot.
Spectator facilities will also be improved, with new grandstands, most notably at Eau Rouge/Raidillon, plus VIP boxes, which will add an additional 13,000 seats.
The €80m will be invested in the circuit over the next 10 years with further upgrades planned for the future.
“With these investments in the next 10 years we are showing that dreams can become reality,” Spa-Francorchamps CEO Nathalie Maillet said. “With the arrival of this prestigious endurance event we are achieving the first goal of our ‘Project Moto’.”
“This announcement is even more important in this difficult period of closed doors events during the COVID-19 pandemic,” a statement by the circuit added.
“Racing is in the DNA of Spa-Francorchamps, but it’s not the same without the fans. But this project also includes improvements for the spectators.”
- Clemson vs Florida State Prediction, College Basketball Game Preview
- Villanova vs Providence Prediction, College Basketball Game Preview
- Backstage Note On El Australiano Nearly Signing With AEW
- Backstage Note On WWE’s Booking Plans For WrestleMania 37
- UConn vs Creighton Prediction, College Basketball Game Preview
- Tributes to a legend: Baseball world and beyond honors Aaron
- From the Negro Leagues to home run king: Hank Aaron’s legacy extends far past baseball
- Morris: Wall looking forward to new season and beyond
- Michigan vs Purdue Prediction, College Basketball Game Preview
- Analyzing what led to Pierre-Luc Dubois’ benching by John Tortorella