Marino Sato will join Yuki Tsunoda at AlphaTauri for next week’s post-season Formula 1 test in Abu Dhabi.
Formula 1 teams have the option to remain at the Yas Marina Circuit for a day of testing on Tuesday (December 15) and can field up to two cars.
AlphaTauri confirmed on Tuesday that 2021 race seat candidate Tsunoda will drive one car and on Wednesday revealed that Formula 2 driver Sato will also get behind the wheel.
Sato, the 2019 Euroformula Open champion, classified 22nd in Formula 2 this year, driving for Trident.
“We are pleased to have Marino Sato on board for the test because he did a solid job throughout the season in F2 this year, so he deserves a run in Formula 1,” said AlphaTauri boss Franz Tost.
“We are convinced he can do a good job as he is a skilled driver.
“The plan for the test is simple, getting him to do as many laps as possible to give him a good feeling for an F1 car.
“This test will be very useful, both for us and for Marino and we will do our best to help him understand how an F1 team operates in all its different aspects.
“In addition, from a technical point of view he will certainly learn something from which he will benefit next year, when he will continue in the F2 championship.
“I think this is a very good preparation for his future and it’s a pleasure to be part of his development towards what we hope will be a very successful career.”
- College Football Rankings: 1 To 130: Week 3
- Auer takes late pole for Sunday race at Assen
- Bombers battle through adversity in Edmonton
- AP Top 25 Poll, Rankings Prediction: Week 3
- Coaches Top 25 Poll powered by USA TODAY, Rankings Prediction: Week 3
- NFL Game Previews, Schedule, Predictions, Lines, How To Watch: Week 2
- Chicago vs Cincinnati Prediction, Game Preview
- Cleveland vs Houston Prediction, Game Preview
- Dodgers’ Bellinger diagnosed with rib fracture
- Pina homers twice as Brewers clinch playoff berth