Mercedes stands a strong chance of clinching a seventh successive Formula 1 Constructors’ title at this weekend’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix in Italy.
Mercedes holds a 209-point advantage over sole remaining rival Red Bull in the teams’ title battle with five rounds of the Coronavirus-hit 2020 season left to run.
After the conclusion of this weekend’s round, the third event to take place in Italy this year, there will only be 176 points left up for grabs across the last four events.
It means Red Bull has to out-score Mercedes by 33 points at Imola in order to keep the title fight alive for another round.
Red Bull has only out-scored Mercedes once this season, when it took 35 points at the second Silverstone race – which it won – though Mercedes still added 34 points to its tally.
Red Bull has not scored more than 33 points at any other event.
Mercedes, meanwhile, scored the maximum 44 points on offer at Sunday’s Portuguese Grand Prix by taking first and second, along with the bonus point for fastest lap.
Mercedes has won the Constructors’ Championship for the last six years and has never been taken to a last-round decider in the competition.
In the Drivers’ Championship Lewis Hamilton holds a 77-point advantage over Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas, with Max Verstappen a further 17 behind.
With 104 points still available after Imola’s round it is not mathematically possible for Hamilton to wrap up proceedings this weekend irrespective of the outcome of the race.
- Umpire: Didn’t ‘eject’ Orioles’ grounds crew
- MLB Power Rankings: Where all 30 teams stand as the top squads start to clinch
- Dovizioso confirmed at Petronas SRT for rest of 2021 and ’22, Morbidelli gets Yamaha factory deal
- Red Bull to hold Dallas F1 show run prior to US GP
- Pitt vs Western Michigan Prediction, Game Preview
- Missouri vs SE Missouri State Prediction, Game Preview
- Coastal Carolina at Buffalo Prediction, Game Preview
- Syracuse vs Albany Prediction, Game Preview
- Boston College vs Temple Prediction, Game Preview
- Mississippi State vs Memphis Prediction, Game Preview