The Mercedes Formula 1 team is set for increased AMG branding next season as part of Daimler’s new global strategy.
Mercedes remains committed to going electric with a new range of cars, as well as electrifying its sub-brands AMG and Maybach.
AMG, the high-performance arm of the German automotive giant, will likely focus on hybrid technology rather than full electrification, therefore increasing its involvement in the F1 team makes sense given the sport’s use of a hybrid power unit.
Whilst AMG already features in the official team name – ‘Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula 1 Team’ – it will feature more prominently on the car next year.
“AMG is set for the next level with high-performance electrification, starting in 2021. Its links with Formula 1 will also intensify next year, to reflect its identity as Mercedes’ high performance sub-brand,” the company confirmed during an investor call on Tuesday.
Mercedes CEO Ola Kallenius added: “We will use the technology development in Formula 1 for performance hybrids and going into other exciting technologies in the future, and put that into our AMG cars.
“With Project One, we’re taking the Formula 1 powertrain and putting it on the road. So it just comes natural to us to leverage Formula 1 even more for AMG going forward.”
The news reaffirms Daimler and Mercedes’ commitment to F1 in the wake of the shock news that Honda will quit the sport after 2021.
- Hikaru Shida Becomes The Longest-Reigning Champion In AEW History
- WWE NXT UK News – Metehan Is Coming Soon, Highlight Videos, & More
- Montréal Canadiens’ Last 4 Games Are a Microcosm of Their Season
- Today in Hockey History: Feb. 25
- Check Out Flex Lewis’ New Dragon Lair in Las Vegas
- Ricky Collins Jr. announces his retirement
- Canucks battle dwindling confidence ahead of rematch with Oilers
- AEW Star Brian Cage: Bodybuilding and Powerbombs
- Cauz: The best backdrops for a CFL game
- Perez labels his experience as a ‘big’ weapon for Red Bull