The Mercedes Formula 1 team is set for increased AMG branding next season as part of Daimler’s new global strategy.
Mercedes remains committed to going electric with a new range of cars, as well as electrifying its sub-brands AMG and Maybach.
AMG, the high-performance arm of the German automotive giant, will likely focus on hybrid technology rather than full electrification, therefore increasing its involvement in the F1 team makes sense given the sport’s use of a hybrid power unit.
Whilst AMG already features in the official team name – ‘Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula 1 Team’ – it will feature more prominently on the car next year.
“AMG is set for the next level with high-performance electrification, starting in 2021. Its links with Formula 1 will also intensify next year, to reflect its identity as Mercedes’ high performance sub-brand,” the company confirmed during an investor call on Tuesday.
Mercedes CEO Ola Kallenius added: “We will use the technology development in Formula 1 for performance hybrids and going into other exciting technologies in the future, and put that into our AMG cars.
“With Project One, we’re taking the Formula 1 powertrain and putting it on the road. So it just comes natural to us to leverage Formula 1 even more for AMG going forward.”
The news reaffirms Daimler and Mercedes’ commitment to F1 in the wake of the shock news that Honda will quit the sport after 2021.
- Florida vs Tennessee Prediction, Game Preview
- College Football Free Predictions, Previews from Winners and Whiners: Week 14
- Dodgers acquire reliever Knebel from Brewers
- Yanks offer Sanchez contract ahead of deadline
- Alonso gets green light for Abu Dhabi Renault test
- FIA makes safety tweaks to circuit after Grosjean crash
- Report: Liverpool duo now ‘major doubts’ vs Wolves…but one player ‘expected to return’
- Alabama vs LSU Prediction, Game Preview
- Mourinho suggests ‘the only problem’ he’s facing with Spurs summer signing
- Kentucky vs South Carolina Prediction, Game Preview