Ferrari has appointed Callum Ilott as its test driver for the 2021 Formula 1 season.
Ilott finished runner-up to Haas-bound Mick Schumacher in this year’s Formula 2 championship but was unable to secure a seat in Formula 1.
Ilott has been backed by Ferrari’s Driver Academy since 2017, having previously been part of Red Bull’s scheme, and on Tuesday the marque confirmed his 2021 role as its test driver.
“I am very pleased to be joining Ferrari as its test driver from next year,” said the 22-year-old.
“I look forward to contributing to the work the team does on and off track, and to all of the new things I can learn by taking on this exciting new challenge.
“I will give my all to do a good job and gain as much experience as possible to continue making progress as a driver.
“I would like to thank the Ferrari Driver Academy and Scuderia Ferrari for this great opportunity and their support.
“It has been an honour to be part of their programme for the past three years and I am pleased to continue our journey together.”
Ilott spent Tuesday testing for Ferrari’s customer team Alfa Romeo at the post-season session in Abu Dhabi.
Ilott completed 93 laps in the C39 at the Yas Marina Circuit to finish eighth of the 15 participants.
“It’s been an amazing day, driving an incredible car,” he said.
“From my personal point of view, I’ve really enjoyed it: it took a lot of focus to keep performing at this level, in such a powerful car, but it’s been really good and I hope to get more opportunities to drive this car in the future.”
- Big Ten Expansion. What Does The Conference Do Now?: Daily Cavalcade
- White Sox activate DH Jimenez off IL Monday
- Padres get Frazier from Pirates for three players
- AEW Donates $100,000 To Support Charlotte’s “Safe Alliance’
- Tony Khan & Other AEW EVPs Flew To Chicago To Film Footage This Past Sunday
- Nye: Inside the Riders’ Green and White game
- Four undervalued UFAs who could be bargains when free agency opens
- Lions release 18, including QB Will Arndt
- WEC unveils more details on Bahrain double header
- Maple Leafs 2021 Free Agency Preview: Needs, targets, issues