DragonSpeed will discontinue its involvement in the NTT IndyCar Series due to complications that have arose amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
The team made its debut at the 2019 season-opening race at St. Petersburg with Ben Hanely at the wheel. The British driver would compete in two further races that year, including the 103rd running of the Indianapolis 500.
DragonSpeed also raced at this year’s Indy 500 event with Hanley, however it was the team’s sole entry into the 2020 Championship after the pandemic hit the team particularly hard and scrapped plans of expanded running throughout the season.
Speaking to RACER, DragonSpeed founder Elton Julian confirmed that he has been forced to withdraw his outfit from the series.
“I have nothing but positive things to say about our time in the series, with all the encouragement we’ve gotten from Jay Frye, from Chevy, Roger Penske, and all our partners,” Julian said.
“But COVID has taken my team back two years for our progress, and two years ago, we weren’t doing IndyCar.
“So by moving on from IndyCar and selling our chassis, we’re able to better invest in our future with a new shop in Barcelona and strengthening our LMP2 program.
“I can confidently say that if I find a way to come back when the next big thing happens for IndyCar, we’ll want to be there.”
DragonSpeed has sold its Dallara DW12 chassis to Meyer Shank Racing, which just wrapped up its first full season in IndyCar.
- Braves look to boost bullpen, bring back Greene
- DeGrom exits with side tightness, to have MRI
- Matt Hardy Responds To A Troll Fan, Paris De Silva Knocked Out, More
- News On Asuka, Jerry Lawler, Xavier Woods, Batista’s Most Dominant Wins, More
- Brad Keselowski’s crew chief sidelined for Goodyear 400 at Darlington
- Coyotes, head coach Rick Tocchet mutually agree to part ways
- TSN’s Lalji weighs present, future picks in CFL Draft
- Hamilton ‘learned more about Verstappen than any other race’
- Blue Jackets, John Tortorella mutually agree to part ways
- Rangers activate Davis, who started season on IL