BMW Motorsports Director Jens Marquardt will step down from his position at the end of the month in order to pursue a new role with the BMW Group.
Marquardt will will oversee BMW’s Pilot Plant, which is responsible for the prototype construction of production models within the BMW Group.
Markus Flasch, CEO of BMW’s M brand, will take up Marquardt’s previous role as head of motorsport on an interim basis, with the role change happening on November 1st.
Marquardt stepped up to the role as BMW’s motorsport chief in 2011 and during that time, he has overseen the company’s factory racing programs, including Formula E as well as DTM and the BMW M8 GTE program in the IMSA Weathertech Sportscar Championship and FIA World Endurance Championship.
Under his watch, BMW captured victory in the Nürburgring 24 Hours in 2019, as well as three DTM titles and two class wins at the Rolex 24 at Daytona.
“I will always have emotional memories of the past ten years,” said Marquardt. “I have experienced all the highs and lows of motorsport with an exceptional team. The overall victory at the Nürburgring 24-hour race was the icing on the cake at the end of this exciting time.
“I am very grateful to BMW Group and the whole motorsport family for all these memories. After 25 years in motorsport, I am very much looking forward to a new challenge.”
“Jens Marquardt has been responsible for our involvement in motorsport since 2011,” added BMW board member Frank Weber. “During this time, we have achieved great success: the DTM titles in 2012, 2014 and 2016, as well as various overall and class victories at endurance classics like Daytona, Spa and, most recently, the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring.
I would like to thank Jens Marquardt and his entire team very much for that. Head of the Pilot Plant for prototype construction is a fundamental role in the development process. With the agile working method and his motorsport experience, Jens Marquardt will provide new impetus there.”
BMW has also stated that its involvement in both Formula E and global GT racing will continue.
- Indianapolis Colts vs Detroit Lions Prediction, Game Preview
- Cleveland Browns vs Las Vegas Raiders Prediction, Game Preview
- Eagles vs. Cowboys: How to watch, schedule, live stream info, game time, TV channel
- Sources: Rogue to sign Odoamne, promote Trymbi
- College Football Betting Advice, Final Thoughts: Week 9
- How to watch Bears vs. Saints: Live stream, TV channel, start time for Sunday’s NFL game
- Watch Seahawks vs. 49ers: How to live stream, TV channel, start time for Sunday’s NFL game
- Broncos vs. Chargers: How to watch live stream, TV channel, NFL start time
- Tigers name Hinch manager as suspension ends
- 2020-2021 College Football Playoff, Bowl Schedule