The Chicago White Sox acquired right-hander Lance Lynn in a trade with the Texas Rangers early Tuesday morning, sources told ESPN, bolstering their rotation with a veteran who led the major leagues in innings pitched this year.
Lynn, 33, was perhaps the most prized pitcher on the trade market and cost the White Sox 25-year-old right-hander Dane Dunning, who will go to Texas along with left-handed pitching prospect Avery Weems, sources said.
Chicago had targeted a starting pitcher to accompany the emergent Lucas Giolito and former Cy Young winner Dallas Keuchel, both of whom excelled this past season as the White Sox made their first postseason appearance since 2008. The White Sox had been discussing a Sonny Gray deal with the Cincinnati Reds but pivoted toward Lynn. Although they lost their wild-card series to Oakland, the White Sox, with a young core that surrounds reigning American League MVP Jose Abreu, expect to enter 2021 as the AL Central favorites.
With one year and $8 million remaining on his contract, Lynn was a cost-efficient option that the Rangers, who are rebuilding, leveraged into a pitcher in Dunning who debuted this season after recovering from Tommy John surgery and looked like he could develop into a mid-rotation stalwart.
In 2020, Lynn was more. Until a poor final start ballooned his ERA by more than three-quarters of a point, he was the favorite to finish second in AL Cy Young voting behind the unanimous winner, Shane Bieber. In 84 innings, Lynn struck out 89 batters, walked 25 and held hitters to a .204 batting average. He did, however, allow 13 home runs, a number that was alarming, considering that he pitched at the Rangers’ spacious Globe Life Field.
Slotting a pitcher of Lynn’s caliber behind Giolito and Keuchel is nevertheless a coup for the White Sox, who continue to seek offensive help with a lineup that includes Abreu, Tim Anderson, Yoan Moncada, Yasmani Grandal, Luis Robert and Eloy Jimenez, among others.
Chicago has sought left-handed outfield bats on the free-agent market, sources said.
- Josh Anderson delivers playoff-type effort at crucial time for Canadiens
- Oilers get taste of playoff hockey in hard-fought Canadiens series
- How hot are the A’s? With an improbable 11th straight win, let’s say they’re sizzling
- Seth Rollins’ Reacts To Fan Poll On Twitter With Roman Reigns
- Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston Crash Into The Elite’s Hangout, Darby Allin vs. Jungle Boy
- Padres’ Lamet exits early, set for MRI on forearm
- Texas Tech Red Raiders: CFN College Football Preview 2021
- The Waggle Extra: Ambrosie & taking the field in 2021
- Back 2 Basics: Learning the Landmine Row
- WWE NXT Viewership For 4/20/21