Coors Field in Denver has been chosen to host this year’s All-Star Game, sources told ESPN’s Buster Olney on Monday.
MLB opted to move the game out of Atlanta due to voting laws passed in Georgia last month.
It will mark the second time the homer-friendly home of the Colorado Rockies will host the Midsummer Classic. The American League beat the National League 13-8 at Coors in 1998.
This year’s All-Star Game originally was scheduled for July 13 at Truist Park, home of the Braves. However, on April 2, MLB announced that it decided to move the game out of Atlanta because of a new Georgia law that has civil rights groups concerned about its potential to restrict voting access for people of color.
Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement at the time that he discussed the potential move with individual major leaguers and the Players Alliance, an organization of Black players formed after the death of George Floyd last year, before ultimately deciding to make the call “as the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport.”
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed into law last month a sweeping, Republican-sponsored bill that includes new restrictions on voting by mail and greater legislative control over how elections are run. The bill, which also prohibits volunteers from distributing food and water to voters waiting in line, was finalized on March 25 roughly 15 miles from Truist Park.
The new voting law came in the wake of the first Democratic victories in presidential and Senate elections in Georgia in a generation, which triggered repeated unproven assertions by former President Donald Trump that the state’s election was fraudulent. Supporters of the new law have said it merely ensures election integrity and stamps out potential fraud, while critics have described it as a voter suppression tactic that would make it more difficult for minorities, particularly people of color, to vote, citing how it reduces ballot access in urban communities that lean Democratic.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- Josh Anderson delivers playoff-type effort at crucial time for Canadiens
- Oilers get taste of playoff hockey in hard-fought Canadiens series
- How hot are the A’s? With an improbable 11th straight win, let’s say they’re sizzling
- Seth Rollins’ Reacts To Fan Poll On Twitter With Roman Reigns
- Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston Crash Into The Elite’s Hangout, Darby Allin vs. Jungle Boy
- Padres’ Lamet exits early, set for MRI on forearm
- Texas Tech Red Raiders: CFN College Football Preview 2021
- The Waggle Extra: Ambrosie & taking the field in 2021
- Back 2 Basics: Learning the Landmine Row
- WWE NXT Viewership For 4/20/21