Venable spent the past three seasons with the Chicago Cubs as a first- and third-base coach after a 12-year career as a major league outfielder, mostly with the San Diego Padres. Venable, whose father, Max, also spent a dozen years in the majors, played both basketball and baseball at Princeton.
“Will is a bright, young mind that will add a lot to what is already a strong collection of coaches,” Cora said in a statement. “I am also pleased that both Jason and Ramon will step forward and play larger roles for us. I am thrilled to have so many great baseball minds on our staff and I look forward to their contributions as we set out to achieve our goals.”
Pitching coach Dave Bush, hitting coach Tim Hyers, assistant hitting coach Peter Fatse, first-base coach Tom Goodwin and third-base coach Carlos Febles will be back in their previous roles.
Cora is returning to the dugout after serving a one-season suspension for his role in the Houston Astros‘ sign-stealing scheme. Ron Roenicke managed the last-place Red Sox during the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- SEC Predictions, Schedule, Game Previews, Lines, TV: Week 3
- Stanford vs Vanderbilt Prediction, Game Preview
- Umpire: Didn’t ‘eject’ Orioles’ grounds crew
- MLB Power Rankings: Where all 30 teams stand as the top squads start to clinch
- Dovizioso confirmed at Petronas SRT for rest of 2021 and ’22, Morbidelli gets Yamaha factory deal
- Red Bull to hold Dallas F1 show run prior to US GP
- Pitt vs Western Michigan Prediction, Game Preview
- Missouri vs SE Missouri State Prediction, Game Preview
- Coastal Carolina at Buffalo Prediction, Game Preview
- Syracuse vs Albany Prediction, Game Preview