San Diego pitcher Mike Clevinger got a cortisone shot for his ailing right elbow Friday and the Padres are hopeful he’ll be OK for the playoffs. And after Friday night’s second game of a doubleheader split with the Giants in San Francisco, the team now has questions about the health of Dinelson Lamet, as well.
The big right-hander gave them a scare when he reported biceps tightness and left in the fourth inning — but, for now, Lamet will throw in a couple of days with expectations of pitching Wednesday at Petco Park in San Diego’s first postseason berth in 14 years.
“Everybody is pretty optimistic right now,” manager Jayce Tingler said.
Tingler was pleased that Lamet was quick to alert the team as to how he was feeling.
“First and foremost, he’s very routine-oriented. He understands where we’re at in the season and understands what’s at stake, so I was very happy the way he communicated and let us know,” Tingler said. “Coming out, feeling pretty good right now. We’ll know more tomorrow and probably the next day, naturally, after he throws. The day after is usually where he is a little bit sore and tender.”
Clevinger, acquired last month in a big trade with Cleveland, left his start against the Angels on Wednesday after just one inning.
The Padres already have clinched a postseason spot and the National League’s No. 4 seed, and will open the playoffs Wednesday at Petco Park. Before the early exit, Clevinger had been presumed as the Game 1 starter in the wild-card round.
“We have not ruled out anything for next week and the first round of the playoffs,” Padres general manager A.J. Preller said.
An MRI exam and other tests showed Clevinger had a right posterior elbow impingement.
“I think we got really good news,” Preller said.
Clevinger (3-2) is expected to rest for 48 hours and then attempt to play catch. He was obtained in a blockbuster trade with Cleveland on Aug. 31.
“Hopefully, the injection does the trick,” Preller said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sources: Team Liquid close to multi-year deal with Alphari
- Watch Broncos vs. Chiefs: TV channel, live stream info, start time
- Patriots vs. 49ers: How to watch, schedule, live stream info, game time, TV channel
- College Football Odds: Week 9 Opening Lines, Early Values
- How to watch Chargers vs. Jaguars: Live stream, TV channel, start time for Sunday’s NFL game
- How to watch The Washington Football Team vs. Cowboys: NFL live stream info, TV channel, time, game odds
- Watch Texans vs. Packers: How to live stream, TV channel, start time for Sunday’s NFL game
- How to watch Saints vs. Panthers: NFL live stream info, TV channel, time, game odds
- College Football Predictions, Schedule, Game Previews, Lines, TV: Week 9
- AP Top 25 College Football Poll, Rankings: Week 8