Porter agreed to a four-year contract, the team said.
A longtime executive in Boston, Chicago and Arizona, Porter is immensely respected around baseball and has been seen as a future GM for years.
Porter, 41, won three World Series in the front office for the Red Sox and another with the Cubs before joining Arizona as a senior vice president and assistant GM in 2017. He has worked various roles in baseball operations, but his primary focus has been scouting. He was a director of pro scouting for Boston and Chicago.
Porter will now work under team president Sandy Alderson, who has taken charge of baseball operations under new owner Steve Cohen.
“Jared has proven himself at every level and in every position he has held, earning respect from his peers throughout baseball,” Alderson said in a statement. “He is deeply knowledgeable in all aspects of the game and has worked with several accomplished baseball executives. Jared is prepared for this next challenge.”
The Mets have already been aggressive following a 26-34 disappointment during the pandemic-shortened regular season. The club is finalizing a four-year, $40 million deal with free-agent catcher James McCann, sources told ESPN’s Jeff Passan, confirming a report from The Athletic.
New York also signed free-agent reliever Trevor May last week to a $15.5 million, two-year deal — the first major transaction for the club since Cohen bought the team for $2.42 billion last month.
Porter inherits a team featuring a number of star players, including two-time Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom, and All-Star hitters Pete Alonso, Jeff McNeil and Michael Conforto. Hard-throwing righty Noah Syndergaard had Tommy John surgery in March and is expected to return sometime during the 2021 season.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Verstappen leads Mercedes pair in Hungarian GP FP1
- Netflix to release new Schumacher documentary this year
- Bryce Young’s Name, Image, Likeness Deals Aren’t Enough: Daily Cavalcade
- Trade deadline tracker: Which big bats the Mets are eyeing now, plus our latest buzz
- Yankees acquire All-Star slugger Rizzo from Cubs
- Red Sox get All-Star Schwarber from Nationals
- Sources: Dodgers finalizing Scherzer, Turner deal
- Frankie Kazarian Returns To Impact Wrestling, 6-Man Tag Match Set For Next Week’s Impact
- Seth Rollins Says He Misses Brock Lesnar
- Blue Jackets sign defender Zach Werenski to six-year, $57.5M extension