New York also said it had made an $18.9 million qualifying offer to right-hander Marcus Stroman, 29, who became a free agent. The right-hander was acquired from Toronto on July 28, 2019, for left-hander Anthony Kay and right-hander Simeon Woods Richardson. Stroman went 4-2 with a 3.77 ERA in 11 starts for the Mets late that season, then opted out of the 2020 season due to the coronavirus pandemic.
A 6-foot-8 right-hander, Betances, 32, signed with the Mets last December for a deal that guaranteed $10.5 million: a $5.3 million signing bonus and a $2.2 million salary plus the option for 2021.
A four-time All-Star during seven seasons with the New York Yankees, Betances slumped to a 7.71 ERA in 15 relief appearances with the Mets, walking 12 and striking out 11 in 11⅔ innings.
He struck out 115 in 66⅔ innings with the Yankees in 2018, then missed nearly all of 2019 because of a bone spur behind his right shoulder. He returned to make his season debut Sept. 15 at Toronto, but his season ended after two batters and eight pitches when he partially tore the Achilles tendon in his left foot when he hopped on the mound after striking out Brandon Drury.
Earlier, Mets reliever Brad Brach, 34, exercised his $2,075,000 player option for next season. The right-hander was 1-0 with 5.84 ERA over 14 games in the pandemic-shortened season and earned $314,815 in prorated pay from his $850,000 salary. His option base price was $1.25 million but escalated based on appearances.
- Derek Mason Fired, Terrace Marshall Opts Out: College Football News Updates
- AP Top 25 College Football Poll, Rankings: Week 13
- Texas Coach Options If Tom Herman Fired, D’Wan Mathis Leaves Georgia: USA TODAY College Wire Features
- Sharks’ Kane calls out Jake Paul, challenges him to boxing match
- ‘No doubt’ halo saved Grosjean’s life – Brawn
- Vettel: ‘Barrier not supposed to fail like that’
- Watch Steelers vs. Ravens: How to live stream, TV channel, start time for Tuesday’s NFL game
- Falcons vs. Raiders: How to watch, schedule, live stream info, game time, TV channel
- Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl says Edinson Cavani ‘very hard to defend against’
- Emmanuel Frimpong’s 2-word response to Leeds United defender’s Instagram post