CHICAGO — Cubs right-hander Kyle Hendricks will start Game 1 of their NL Wild Card Series against the Miami Marlins on Wednesday, manager David Ross announced. The decision was between Hendricks and Cy Young contender Yu Darvish. Darvish will take the ball in Game 2.
“I [feel] like I have two aces,” Ross said. “I trust both those guys.”
“It’s a huge honor for me to get the nod from Rossy for Game 1 but at the end of the day we all know what Yu has done this year,” Hendricks said. “He’s our ace. He’s been the guy dominant all year long. If this was a one game playoff kind of thing, he would be the guy, obviously.”
Hendricks started on Opening Day and has taken the mound in big games for the Cubs over the past half-decade. He’s 2-3 with a 2.98 ERA in 11 career postseason games, including 10 starts. This season, he led all qualified pitchers with an 8-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio, giving up a free pass to less than one batter per nine innings pitched.
“It’s really comforting from my seat when he takes the ball,” Ross said. “I know he’s excited. I’m excited. We have to win two of them. I’m glad we’ve got those horses.”
Hendricks last pitched on Sept. 23 so he’ll be off a full week, while the move gives Darvish an extra day of rest after his last outing on Friday.
- 2022 Cleeve Hurdle Tips, Predictions & Preview – No Opposing Champ at Cheltenham
- W Series to kick off eight-round 2022 season in Miami
- Ecuador vs Brazil prediction: World Cup qualifier betting tips, odds and free bet
- Jeddah to make minor tweaks for driver visibility
- Ichiro unanimous? A wait for Chase Utley? Predicting the next three Hall of Fame classes
- College Football Bowl Ties, Affiliations For Each Conference 2022-2023
- Johnny Gargano Reacts To His Name Being Chanted On AEW Dynamite
- AEW Dynamite News – Britt Baker Trashes Cleveland, Kris Statlander/Leyla Hirsch
- With a mix of old, new and borrowed tricks, the Flames make franchise history
- Winners, losers and fallout from the 2022 Baseball Hall of Fame election