ARLINGTON, Texas — The Texas Rangers plan to utilize Doug Mathis and Brendan Sagara as co-pitching coaches in 2021, with Mathis directing from the dugout and Sagara working out of the bullpen.
The pair replaces Julio Rangel, whose contract wasn’t renewed after two seasons on the job. Rangers pitchers combined for a 5.07 ERA the past two seasons, ranking 26th in the majors despite the success of veterans Lance Lynn and Mike Minor.
The Rangers announced the change Monday, saying that Mathis and Sagara will split duties and responsibilities while trying to mold a young pitching staff.
Mathis, 37, was Texas’ bullpen coach last season, his first on the staff of third-year manager Chris Woodward.
The 47-year-old Sagara was set to be the pitching coach with Texas’ Triple-A team in Nashville but instead coached at the club’s alternate training site after the minor league season was canceled. This will be Sagara’s first major league coaching role after he worked in player development with the Chicago Cubs and Miami Marlins.
Texas also announced that Bobby Wilson was named catching coordinator and will work with catchers at the major and minor league levels. The 37-year-old Wilson ended a 17-year playing career in 2019 and planned to manage the Rangers’ Double-A affiliate in Frisco this season. He also worked at the alternate site before joining the major league staff near the end of the regular season.
- Russell: No promises from Mercedes over 2022 F1 seat
- The Lookahead: Maple Leafs coach Keefe emerging as Jack Adams frontrunner
- Technical Insight: AMR21 – a mix of W11 and evolved RP20
- Why a Mattias Ekholm trade would make sense for Jets
- Demko finds accomplices as Canucks make clean getaway vs. Maple Leafs
- WWE Women’s Tag Team Championships Rematch Set For Fastlane
- Mazepin unmoved by criticism of financial backing
- Chris Jericho, Disco Inferno, Madusa Call For All States To Reopen Now
- The Rock Gives Some High Praise To The Hurt Business, Bobby Lashley Responds
- Top 7 M&F At-Home Workouts One Year After COVID