Rice vs Southern Miss prediction and game preview.
Rice vs Southern Miss Broadcast
Date: Saturday, October 31
Game Time: 3:00
Venue: MM Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, MS
Rice (0-1) vs Southern Miss (1-4) Game Preview
For latest lines and to bet on college football, go to BetMGM
Why Rice Will Win
Things aren’t going all that well when you’re six games into the season and on your third head coach.
Southern Miss and Jay Hopson parted ways after the season-opening loss to South Alabama. In stepped Scotty Walden, and he left this week for Austin Peay. Now it’s up to Tim Billings, a defensive-minded coach …
He’s the third head coach in six games.
Rice wasn’t great in the 40-34 opener against Middle Tennessee, but QB Mike Collins threw for 242 yards and four scores and the offense was able to keep things moving. Southern Miss isn’t doing anything defensively on third downs, partly because there isn’t enough pressure from the front.
Collins will have time to work.
Why Southern Miss Will Win
Billings is a nice interim option.
He didn’t have a whole lot of success as the SE Missouri State head man, but he’s a longtime veteran assistant who became a fixture at Marshall and later at Wake Forest after his SEMO gig.
He’s been the USM defensive coordinator, but watch out for the pass rush to start to do more.
The passing game has been excellent, the offense has been balanced over the last few games, and after two straight road games, now the team is back at home.
What’s Going To Happen
Back at home, and even with the coaching change, the Southern Miss offense will keep on working, and the defense will be just a wee bit better. It’ll be another shootout for Rice after last weeks defeat to Middle Tennessee, and it’ll be another close loss.
Rice vs Southern Miss Prediction, Line
Southern Miss 38, Rice 34
Bet on Rice vs Southern Miss with BetMGM
Southern Miss -1.5, o/u: 59.5
ATS Confidence out of 5: 2.5
Must See Rating: 2
5: Halloween (either Siouxsie and the Banshees or Ministry version)
1: “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.”
- Brewers’ Yelich lands on IL with lower back strain
- Braves’ Kazmar plays in first MLB game since ’08
- Acosta prevails over Foggia to win Portuguese Moto3 encounter at the death
- Formula 1 announces 10-year Miami Grand Prix deal
- 2022 NFL Draft: Top 32 Pro Prospects First Look
- Oilers’ growth an extension of McDavid, Draisaitl’s own on-ice transformation
- The Rock & His Wife Purchase New Multi-Million Dollar Mansion
- Sami Zayn Reveals New T-Shirt For Charity, ROH’s 500th Episode & More
- Twins-Angels games PPD due to COVID concerns
- DeGrom strikes out 9 in row, 14 in all, in win