Five reactions and what we learned from the from the first College Football Playoff rankings of 2020.
5. Rapid-Fire First Reaction To Latest College Football Playoff Rankings
They’re fine. There’s one GIGANTIC misfire – we’ll get into that in a moment – but overall, they’re okay considering the committee has to compare apples to a different types of apples in this year without a whole lot of non-conference games to go by.
They got the Texas A&M-over-Florida thing right. That was the obvious one they couldn’t miss to have any credibility, and they didn’t. Remember, it doesn’t really matter all that much – the Gators control their own destiny, and Texas A&M doesn’t.
So, this thought by Matt Hayes. Georgia gets TRUCKED by Alabama and Florida, and its best win was over an okay – but to be fair, top 22-ranked – Auburn team, and it’s ninth. Indiana looked great against Ohio State and is 12th.
There needs to be a detailed explanation besides any sort of “eye test” for exactly how and why the College Football Playoff committee ranked 6-2 Oklahoma 11th and 6-2 Iowa State – who beat the Sooners, who also lost to Kansas State – 13th. More on that in a moment.
2-1 Wisconsin is getting a TON of love at 16 for beating bad Illinois and Michigan teams and not doing a blessed thing in a meltdown against Northwestern.
So … Northwestern is 5-0 playing an all Power Five schedule. It beat CFP No. 24 Iowa and CFP No. 16 Wisconsin and it’s No. 8. Cincinnati is No. 7 with no Power Five wins and no victories over any College Football Playoff-ranked teams.
The eye test desperately has to be eliminated from the College Football Playoff process. Now.
NEXT: This week’s big whiff was …
- Night of 11 aces: Bieber-Giolito doesn’t disappoint; Snell falls apart
- Contreras lets bat talk against Brewers after HBP
- Andrade’s First Post-WWE Appearance Revealed – Details
- Taz Upset With WWE’s Snub Of Him After 24th Anniversary Of ECW Barely Legal Tweet
- Maple Leafs’ Rittich impresses under challenging circumstances
- Flames’ Lucic turns back clock with complete performance in 1,000th game
- NFL Draft Safety Rankings 2021: From The College Perspective
- Representing Finland in CFL would be ‘a dream come true’ for Mulumba
- Duffy latest Cub to hit COVID related injured list
- Cleveland’s Chang shows racist msgs. after error