What are the most important things to watch for in the first 2020-2021 College Football Playoff rankings to come out Tuesday night?
5. What will the top 4 be?
This is the one thing that everyone really cares about, and it’s actually one of the least important aspects to the first College Football Playoff rankings.
Super-fun trivia time. The first ever No. 1-ranked team in the College Football Playoff rankings was … ?
The answer coming in a moment, but it’ll prove a point.
In 2014, Florida State was No. 2, Auburn was third, and Ole Miss was fourth. Ohio State won the national championship, and where was it ranked?
Florida State, Oregon, and Alabama got in, too, with the Ducks starting out ranked fifth and Bama sixth.
The first ever CFP No. 1 was … Dak Prescott’s Mississippi State team, and it finished seventh in the final rankings.
Out of the 24 teams ranked in the top four of the first six initial College Football Playoff rankings, only 13 of them ended up in the CFP.
Remember, even in this wacky year the rules – implied and suggested – still apply.
These rankings get thrown out and the committee starts over next week, all that really matters are the final rankings, and you’re a mortal lock if you go unbeaten and win your Power Five conference championship, and you’re almost a lock if you lose one game but win your Power Five conference championship.
Oh, and to answer the question, Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and to go on a bit of a limb, Texas A&M.
NEXT: How will we know if the College Football Playoff committee is on its game?
- Bikini Olympia Top 3 Reunite on ‘Femme Flex Friday’
- Triple H Challenges Elon Musk To A WrestleMania Match On Mars
- More Big Names Added To The WrestleCon 2021 Convention – Details
- O’Leary: A trip down football’s memory lane with Marv Levy
- Unstoppable De Vries takes first Formula E victory at season-opener in Diriyah
- Inside Tyler and Cat Toffoli’s move to locked-down Montreal
- Flexit Brings a New Personal Trainer Twist to Home Training
- Gallery: Alfa Romeo’s C41 hits the track at Barcelona
- Revisiting Departed Lightning Players From 2019-20 Team
- Oilers Getting Contributions From Taxi Squad Call-ups